Happy New Year everyone! We’ve made an excellent progress in 2008 to reduce our environmental footprint by focusing on awareness, the 3Rs (reduce, reuse, recycle), and community involvement.
- Awareness– An environmentalist came to speak at our lunch and learn event.
- 3Rs– In 2008, we’ve reduced paper usages to 55,000 sheets from 77,000 sheets in 2007.
- Community involvement – adopted a native flower plot in High Park.
These accomplishments were possible because everyone is committed and participated in various ways to make our workplace and our community greener. Thank you everyone!
For this year, we’ll build on 2008’s work and set new goals and initiatives. Stay tune.
Here is the long list of the stuff we did.
- Got an environmentalist to speak at a lunch and learn event.
- Blogged about green initiatives and issues on i-proving.
- Organized initial air quality audit.
- Attended Green IT presentation by HP to learn what others in the industry are doing to be green.
- Participated in an earth day event to promote energy conservation.
- Post green blogs on i-proving to raise awareness of the environment.
- Participated in earth hour to raise awareness of the environment.
Reduce. Reuse. Recycle
- Enabled default printing to double side to reduce paper use (2007 – 70,000 sheets vs. 2008 – 55,000 sheets).
- Established recycling station to reduce waste going to the landfill.
- Established composting program processed over 0.5 tonnes of organic waste.
- Established a wet waste program with help from Lunch Box to further reduce the amount of stuff going to the landfill.
- Gave away stainless steel water bottles to all employees to reduce use of plastic water bottles.
- Participated in High Park adopt-a-plot program as a way to support green initiatives in the community.
- Participated in Toronto’s 20 minute facelift to raise awareness of the environment and clean up areas around Intelliware. We worked with the local Pizza Pizza restaurant.