Its always nice to have VMware tools installed on all your virtual machines but a Linux client with no GUI can be tricky. You need to run the final step from the console. Remote session will result in errors.
-Initiate the VMware tools installation from the ESX Client. The package will mount to the cdrom.
-mount /dev/cdrom (mount the cdrom device)
- cp /media/cdrom/VMwareTools-3.0.1-32039.i386.rpm /tmp (copy the file to a temp Hard Drive location)
- goto the temp hard drive location and test the file
- rpm -ivh VMwareTools-3.0.1-32039.i386.rpm –test
- rpm -ivh VMwareTools-3.0.1-32039.i386.rpm (Install the application)
- ./vmware-install.pl (run the configuration script)
You might also want to update the NIC driver.
- /etc/init.d/network stop
- rmmod pcnet32
- rmmod vmxnet
- depmod -a
- modprobe vmxnet
- /etc/init.d/network start